The MEPS Insurance Component fields questionnaires to private and public sector employers to collect data on the number and types of private health insurance plans offered, benefits associated with these plans, annual premiums, annual contributions by employers and employees, eligibility requirements, and employer characteristics.
Survey basics: Select from the following for detailed information on the objectives, instruments, and procedures for data collection in the Insurance Component:
MEPS Insurance Component estimates are available online in an extensive series of tables. You can also use the interactive query tools, MEPSnet, to access national- and state-level statistics and trends about health insurance. Insurance Component data files are not available for public release.
Online data can be found through
- Publications: Analyses of MEPS data ranging from brief to extensive reports, chartbooks consisting mainly of graphs, and descriptions of MEPS sample designs and survey methods.
- MEPS-IC data tools: Interactively explore maps, trends, and cross-sectional charts about health insurance offered by private establishments, as well as national and regional health insurance estimates for state and local governments.
- Complete Table Series PDFs: Access tables with frequently used data on employer-based health insurance.
- MEPS Insurance Component Chartbook 2020 (PDF, 11 MB) or HTML format: This chartbook provides both single-year and multiyear trend analyses using private-sector MEPS-IC data from 2008 to 2020. To best convey key information from the MEPS-IC, the report is presented in five sections: Health Insurance Offer Rates; Employee Eligibility and Enrollment; Health Insurance Premiums; Employee and Employer Premium Contributions; and Employee Cost Sharing. Each section provides charts and discussion with links to MEPS-IC data tables that contain the estimates and standard errors for each exhibit.
- MEPS Insurance Component 2020 Presentation Slides (may open in new window) or HTML format: Powerpoint slides with charts from the 2020 MEPS-Insurance Component Chartbook are available for use in presentations. Please note that the 2020 IC Chartbook PowerPoint file may not open in the current window. Depending on the browser you are using and its current settings, you may need to select an option in a separate window to download and then view the file.
- MEPS Insurance Component 2019 Data Visualizations: Interactive dashboards based on the 2019 MEPS-IC Chartbook displaying employee cost sharing by firm size and year.
Due to confidentiality rules, data files for the Insurance Component are not available for public release. There are no projected estimates made for the Insurance Component.
Federal Statistical Research Data Centers
Researchers with approved projects can access confidential Insurance Component
data files (research version) at the Federal Statistical Research Data Centers. Detailed information on using
these research facilities is available on the Federal Statistical Research Data Center Program web site. If you would like to use MEPS Insurance Component data at the Federal Statistical Research Data Centers, please contact
AHRQ so that we can assist you with your request.